My take ;-)

My take ;-)
Just a bit of what I like to chat about!

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Split the banana your way

Sitting here this Sunday night I'm finally enjoying some peace after the bustle of this holiday week. Don't get me wrong I loved every minute of it and every minute of it makes this quiet time with Donnie Darko even sweeter. Yes I said Donnie Darko. It is one of my all time favorite movies. All be it, I may pull from it more than ever was intended but I often do that.
Anyway, Donnie Darko is not the point of my ramblings tonight. I, with my full belly, have decided to share my family's recipe for Banana Split "Cake". Where my mom got this recipe I'm not sure but I know for as long as I can remember we've had it at Thanksgiving dinner and Christmas dinner. So here goes:
Ingredients:
1 can crushed Pineapples in heavy syrup (drained)
2-4 bananas
Cool Whip whipped topping, thawed
Choppedwalnuts or pecans (optional)
Maraschino cherries (optional)

Filling
2 sticks Parkay butter (we've found through process of elimination this brand works best)
2 large eggs
2 cups powdered sugar

Crust
2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1/2 stick butter melted

Directions:
Combine melted butter and graham cracker crumbs in 13x9 casserole dish or cake pan. Once well mixed push crumbs onto bottom of the pan to make a crust. Next in large bowl mix on medium speed all filling ingredients for about 2 minutes. Then mix on high for 18 minutes. Spread filling onto graham cracker crust. Next evenly spoon pineapples over filling. Now here is where my mom and I differ on how to make this "cake". She cuts her bananas in half then quarters each half, laying the quarters side by side until she covers the entire cake. I however, prefer to slice my bananas into round slices, like you would for banana pudding, covering the entire thing. Partly why she insists I do it her way I suppose, is because although I'm a fairly good cook I'm quite clumsy with a knife. And I'd say it pains her to see me fumble with it as I slice my uneven, never the same, round slices onto the cake. It also takes me longer to slice them my way but I like the fact that you get thinner pieces of banana with each bite my way.
Finally cover with Cool Whip, nuts and cherries (if desired). Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
How ever you choose to slice your banana this recipe is sure to be a crowd pleaser. We've yet to have any complaints. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment